Certified Wellness Practitioner (CWP)
Exam Period: January 10-24, 2023 | Registration Deadline: January 5, 2023Be recognized for your strong academic preparation, professional experience, and commitment to ongoing professional development in wellness. The CWP credential is awarded to individuals from multiple disciplines and backgrounds such as health promotion, counseling, wellness coaching, nutrition, social work, nursing, worksite wellness, public health, education, and more.
See our Frequently Asked Questions and CWP Certification Examination Eligibility Requirements to determine your eligibility and for additional details as you prepare to take this important step in your professional development!
Note: If you graduated from an NWI Accredited Academic Program in the past 24 months, please click here to be redirected to the proper application information, as the information on this page does not apply to you at this time.
Why Get Certified as a CWP?Certified Wellness Practitioners:
- Receive national recognition for their professional competence in the five domains of the NWI Wellness Promotion Competency Model: Authenticity & Self-awareness, Whole-person & Systems Approaches, Inclusive & Responsive Practices, Communication & Connection, and Legal & Ethical Principles.
- Elevate their reputations as wellness professionals among their employers, colleagues, and clients.
- Build enhanced connections and community with inter-disciplinary teams of professionals.
- Share a common understanding of wellness and wellness-approaches.
- Attain leadership opportunities that help shape the trajectory of the wellness field.
- Create wellness-enhancing environments through the initiation of individual, organizational, and cultural change.
Exam Fee: $350
The exam must be completed in one sitting between Jan. 10 & Jan. 24, 2023.
Review the NWI Event Transfer & Cancelation Policy prior to registering.
Review your eligibility now.
Application InfoYour Exam Application and full payment must be received by the registration deadline for examination access to be granted. Submit your Exam Application below to unlock the exam registration and to pay your exam fee.
You must log in to LearnWELL to complete the application and register for the exam by January 5. If you do not have a current NWI membership or a free Guest account, please create or update your NWI account now.
Unsure if you are eligible?Request an Eligibility Verification Review by Dec. 15, 2022, if you would like verification prior to registering or if your education level requires the eligibility review ($25 fee applies).
*After the first year of certification, CWPs must pay a $75 annual fee to maintain active status. Every five years, in addition to the annual fee, proof of 50 continuing education credits earned will be required to re-certify for another five years.
Important DatesCertification exams are administered three times per year, starting on the second Tuesday in January, May, and September. Online registration for CWP exams opens at least three months prior to each exam and closes the Thursday before the exam period begins. You must complete your certification exam in one sitting at any time during the two-week exam period for which you are registered.
Please refer to the following dates for this exam period:
- Dec. 15, 2023: January exam optional eligibility pre-screen application deadline (see below)
- Jan. 5, 2023: January exam registration closes
- Jan. 10-24, 2023: January exam period
- Feb. 1, 2023: January exam results posted
NWI Council on Wellness Certification Excellence (CWCE)CWP certification standards are continually reviewed and maintained by NWI’s CWCE. This council serves as the decision-making body to evaluate, provide oversight, and give guidance on CWP policies and procedures, and sets continuing education requirements. The CWCE does not require CWP candidates to complete courses, trainings, or conference sessions offered by the National Wellness Institute to be eligible to sit for the certification examination.
About the NWI Wellness Promotion Competency ModelThe NWI Wellness Promotion Competency Model serves as the standard for the Certified Wellness Practitioner certification. Encompassing a total of 27 competencies, this ground-breaking resource aids in curriculum development, recruitment and hiring, continuing professional development, and certification in the wellness field.
The five domains of this competency model include: (1) Authenticity and Self-Awareness; (2) Whole-person and Systems Approaches; (3) Inclusive and Responsive Practices; (4) Communication and Connection; and (5) Legal and Ethical Principles.