Legal and Ethical Principles for Wellness Professionals
Learning ObjectivesFollowing his course, you will be able to:
- Define confidentiality.
- Identify key components of compliance as it relates to professional standards.
- Determine situations in which mandated reporting is necessary.
- Identify legal practices that relate to confidentiality, compliance, and mandated reporting that pertain to wellness professionals.
- Identify professional scope of practice.
- List key characteristics of professional code of conduct.
- Recognize how a code of conduct may impact professional practice or a wellness program or initiative.
- Compare and contrast factors that are within a wellness professional’s scope of practice versus factors that are not in a wellness professional’s scope of practice.
- Identify ethical standards of practice for wellness professionals.
- List key strategies for developing rapport.
- Determine circumstances for developing clear boundaries with individuals to support ethical relationships.
- Differentiate between an ethical and unethical relationship.
Content Developer: Victoria Vuletich, JD, CWP | Ethics Squared, LLCVictoria Vuletich is an employee relations specialist helping organizations and teams strengthen their ethical values and performance. An ethics lawyer and nationally recognized authority on workplace misconduct, she provides performance coaching, ethics and compliance education, and incident investigation and assessment services for organizations. She is a board member of the Western Michigan University Center for the Study of Ethics in Society, an NWI Certified Wellness Practitioner, and a former law school professor.
This course was developed through a collaboration between
the National Wellness Institute and Butler's Division of Professional Studies.